Friday, February 19, 2010

Lent Day 3

In just over four years time my youngest child will leave school and so we won't have to take our hols at the same times as schools do. The biggest problem with the school hols is they always seem to hit important religious festival/event times. This half term being no exception. SO no Shrove Tuesday fun or Ash Wednesday service for me. I don't like that, but I also try to be as hard line on my holidays as I can (except for the MA crashing through half terms for two years in a row as if I drop below 80% attendance it is an automatic fail). I think I might be the biggest Ash Wednesday fan at church as no-one put one on instead. But I love the ceremonial beginning of Lent and the imposition of ashes. It starts the time right for me.

So what am I doing for Lent this year. I haven't really started my take on thing yet - but I do have a "count your blessings" leaflet to work through which I will reach for in a mo'. And I have given up eating sweets for Lent too. I don't always give something up, but I know that I am a little addicted to the sugar buzz from sweets and know I will find it hard and that it will be good for me. Chocolate is not off limits - I'm just too good at managing chocs but sweets when I am driving - ooh it will be tough. But for every twinge it will remind me of Jesus suffering for my sake and spur me on to deeper Lenten reflection. Well that is my hope anyway. Big test today - going to the cinema where sweeties are de rigeur for the Nevards.

Yesterday was swimming and I did some proper lengths. Sadly I exercise so rarely that I then woke up early with cramping muscles this morning and had to get up and watch "My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding" on 4OD which was actually quite moving in places. And jaw dropping in others... If you are in the UK I highly reccommend a watch. I might tell you what I think another day!

But the early start did mean my Daring Cardmakers card is actually up on time. Gasp! Rein picked a lovely theme this week.
Winter Birthday Cards
Perhaps cards with snowdrops on them, or ice skates, snowflakes, or how about using the Olympic Games currently happening in Vancouver as inspiration for your cards this week?

It took me a while to work through what I wanted to do but in the end came up with I think it is "Winter but Spring is coming" actually! I was inspired by the white rose which is a lovely smoochy felty one from John Lewis. I didn't want the background to be too bare so decided to have another go with the glimmer mist and masks.
Well.
It was supposed to be a LIGHT spray and I also made the mistake of thinking I could contain the spraying so could anchor the mask with tape. Guess where the tape was? All that said I am pretty happy with how it turned out and especially pleased with the scallops. You may need a close up to see how lovely and glittered they are. On tidying up my go to box (it has letter stickers, some ribbons, flowers and gems in it) I found a long neglected packet of double sided sticky sheets so decided to make glitter borders. I did need to stick the one side to card first so it didn't stick to the punch (found that out the hard way) but the glamour dust treatment worked a dream.
Everything else: Nesties; Imagine That Write Big stamps; Cuttlebug embossing folder

I managed some more scrapping yesterday - only 2 layouts left for the summer 2008/Day trip to France 2009 scrapbook now yay! I have found that having chosen the photos and put them in the scrapbook ready has really speeded up the process. For the summer 2009 one I think I will print them myself though so that I can have less uniform photo sizes (the others I photoboxed). I have here the layouts from yesterday - i know I have some more to show you for another day.

This church was so beautiful. Looking at the photos makes me yearn to go back and see it. The yellow light was something very special. SO I wanted a fairly simple page to go with it. MME and Papermania papers, Bazzill edger scallop; Toffee Apple Glimmer mist and mask; Chatterbox acetate embellishment; felt flowers and yellow shell buttons from stash and some tiny scraps of ribbon (the brown one is one of the new Dear Lizzy ones)
This next layout was scary - it called for circular photos! Look at brave Lythan.
It uses this weeks Sketchy Thursday sketch. I wanted to add another photo so put it where the journaling was suggested on the sketch.
Details:
October Afternoon and Fancy Pants papers; Turquise and Sueded Glimmer Mists; Bazzill Just the Edge scallop; Cosmo Cricket sticker and Chipboard heart; Basic Grey Offbeat arrow; American Crafts Thickers; Distress SticklesDunkirk was the last place we visited and I hadn't expected the beach to be so pretty. Or so warm at 5pm. I still wasn't feeling very well so our slap up meal turned into a panini for Phil. Eaten outside people watching it was delicious though! I'm pleased I was stretched by the sketch as I think the photos look really good as circles.

7 comments:

Lynda said...

Wow Lythan your card has a fabulously frosty feel to it. Love the misting and masking. It's fab. Great Layouts too.

Love Lynda xxx

Rika said...

Lovely winter birthday card!

Vicky said...

Beautiful card, love the misting and masking I can never do it, just end up with a soggy mess that goes in the bin. Love those Big Write stamps, this season's 'must have'. :)xx

Karen Lee said...

I love your take on the sketch!! The card is fabulous!! I have a heck of a time using Glimmer Mist. After seeing this card I might have to try using it again!!

xoxo Karen Lee

jennifer said...

Beutiful, I love how you added the third picture, the circles look great! Thanks for playing along this week!
Jennifer C. Sketchy Thursdays dt

melissa said...

the rose you used adds such a delicate touch to your card. beautiful.

Tessa Buys said...

Gorgeous take on the Sketchy Thursdays layout. Your work is beautiful!

Tessa, Sketchy Thursdays DT