Friday, April 23, 2010

What do you call a Welsh hairdresser?

Dai Cut of course.
I would have done an English joke but they tend to be regional
eg my old favourite - Essex girl in an accident. Paramedic asks "where are you bleeding from?" and she replies"Romford"
so instead I will say
Happy St Georges Day!
be proud to be English today and British every day.

Die Cut is the theme of Daring Cardmakers this week.
Keryn has come up with a fab dare.
I've been lucky enough to get my hands on a 'Big Shot' die cut machine and I'm loving it. I want any excuse I can find to make cards, well anything really using die cuts. This week I want you to play with me. Dig out your dies and your die cut machine. Cut shapes of any size and theme you please and use at least one on your card for this week.

To give you a small incentive to join me this week I have a Stampin' Up!® little leaves Sizzlit die to give away. To qualify you must have a link in your blog post back here - http://daringcardmakers.blogspot.com/ and your card must be entered for no more than 3 challenges including this one.

I love using die cuts. I ought to use my Craft Robo more but
a: it needs attaching to the computer since the last hard drive crash (last summer. Blush)
b: It is in the study and I craft in the conservatory and that is MILES away.

so I am still expanding the die collection. Although not too much and I tend to use the same few faves over and over. I still love QK dies but they are a bit small... I have recently bought some Papertrey dies which I love - one in particular as you shall soon see!I used 5 different makes of die on this card.
1: Sizzix frame die
2: Cuttlebug Giraffe die (must use these animals more often they are soooo cute - maybe the answer is smaller cards?)
3: QK photo corner
4: Nestablility rounded oblong
5: Papertrey ink label and zigzag

Cardstock is PTI kraft cut to 5 1/2" square. Papers and sticker are October Afternoon Fly a Kite. Stamp is PTI. Lots of Brown Corduroy and faux stitching with brown pen and a little glossy accents on the giraffe and flower centre. Brad is Papermania and the Ink is Colorbox Chestnut Roan.

To my horror I have nearly run out of birthday cards and as I send about 150 a year that is serious. So I ahve been making up some quick and simples. And making good use of that PTI stamp and die combo.
Basic Grey papers and Chatterbox star
Nancy Kubo Prima notecards - I saw these ages ago on my DCM teamie Nat's blog and HAD to have them. Have used very few as they are a bit big for my cards (hmmm bigger cards I wonder?). But have jsut seen that you can buy them digitally now which may be the answer when I have used them up - see here
America Crafts cardstock; Prima bling; Paperchase sticker

Self Addressed card. Couldn't find a good way to use these. Now I have and I want more. Isn't that just the way. K and Co paper; other bits from stash (ie can't remember).

I'm doing Boys Brigade tonight (I am Chaplain you know) and led a session around this time of year last year as I did St George then. So this time we are focussing on what it means to be a Saint and why some people are called Saints - or is it the name for all followers of Christ? I have a longish list of Saints and Days so much hilarity will hopefully ensue as well as a bit of deep theological thinking. My Saints Day is September 1st - the day for St Lythan and also St Nivard which is an alternative spelling of my married surname.

Have a good weekend!

2 comments:

Lynda said...

Love all the different paper layers on your die cut card Lythan and the Giraffe is really lovely - you must use him more! Great selection of 'emergency' cards too.

Love Lynda xxx

Kathy said...

Wow - what a fab multi-make-dies card! Fab card - the little giraffe looks so cute - I've got that set but I'm not sure I've managed to use them yet!

I'm not sure having Robo set up would make much difference to the die collecting, Lythan - does that make you feel better?