Friday, August 27, 2010

I've nearly grown a man...

On Sunday number one son will be 18. I can't believe it really. It was actually the Friday of the Bank Holiday weekend when I went into hospital to have him and he was born in the early hours of Saturday. I have a little tip. IF you can avoid it, do not have a child on a bank holiday weekened. I truly believe that at least 50% of the reason why I had an emergency section was due to that. In fact the whole hospital went up another gear on the Tuesday. Mind you that was a long time ago now!

There will be no wild partying or clubbing, or even meeting up with friends - why waste energy in physical contact when you can do stuff together virtually via the internet? He isn't interested in alcohol or swearing (how can he be my son?). He is a straight up geek and proud of it. here he is being a C and A model. sadly he is too young to get the joke... (look at that hair. Auburn, long, thick, soft curls. Grrrr)
And one month after his 18th birthday he goes off to Uni to make his own decisions and mistakes. My work is done. But not my financial contribution obviously!

I have still to make his card as I couldn't shoe horn it into the Daring Cardmakers dare this week as we are carding for a cause! The theme is "A little bit of giving" and we are making cards to send to Post Pals. And as a good deed is sometimes rewarded we have a scrumptious giveaway from the Ribbon Girl for one lucky person. Do take a look at their store as it is full of deliciousness. To be fair I thought it only right and proper that I tried it out. I ordered some of the divine twine and my parcel arrived the next day, beautifully packaged. I must say bravo to Sarah's Cards who managed a next day delivery for me last week too. It has meant I can get my holiday layouts straight into an album without them getting dirty!

ooh that was a bit of a detour from my card. (not helped by blogger decided to only load 2 photos at a time when I wanted to upload 5)
I used a coloured card blank (faints). I find that really hard to do. But that is about as avant garde as I got as then it was back to the usual pattern paper with a border thing that I almost have to do. Plus rounded corners. I decided I wanted a card for a boy and remembered these Scenic Route Metropolis papers which I still love madly (just as well as I still have loads to use up). I drew a Scenic Route style arrow, traced round a groovy Thicker for the U and die cut the star using a QK die. Lots of Sharpie outlining, hand written sentiment and some blakc card candy and bob's your card.

While the papers were out I made a card for my godson Ben.
Who is 5 tomorrow. I am a rubbish Godmother - not helped that we live the other end of the country from each other but I rarely manage to send a card on time. (And to be honest I thought he was going to be 4 but I just checked. Just as well i didn't put his age on the card!) It may be that we will get to see him when we go and visit Hywel at Middlesborough some time. Anyway, same papers just added some Nestie dies; a Martha Stewart border punch (my first and still possibly my most used) and some Paperchase stickers. Have you spotted what is wrong in the photo? It has been put right now...

And finally craft wise here is another layout for said album.
Just about everything here is Bella Blvd All Inclusive apart from the bazzil cardstock and the flower brads. The page is based on (well slavishly follows really) a recent pencil lines sketch.
And feautures yet more Sharpie outlining. I love the definition it gives but it is quite hair raising as you never know when your hand will slip and you will have to cover a mistake. (oooh Extreme Scrapbooking)

And with the scraps I made this. Stamp is Purple Onion. I have just rediscovered a huge amount of teeny sentiments that I received with a Self Addressed kit a few years ago. Sigh. I loved those kits - and the stamps made them such good value.

This Sunday is my last one on Old Time. From September my two churches are changing worship times in anticipation of me and Phil taking two morning services per week (mostly) from January when we begin becoming Ministers of a group of 5 churches rather than having two each. Instead of one at 10:30 there will be worship at 9:30 or 11:15, depending where you go to church. So for a few months I will have to remember where I am and at what time! The theme is being hospitable this Sunday - how we should show welcome to all. Now, because I didnt look in advance (and unusually I am in the same church two weeks in a row) I used the best song for this last week . It is called All are welcome and is by Marty Haugen. Hear it here

To me it is a prayer of hope for what the church can be and what Jesus wants us to be - welcoming, receiving, not pointing the finger (as we are wont to do) but saying "Come and hear more of God's love it Jesus, come share your stories and be filled with the Spirit".
Because if there are things that need to change in someone's life, it is God who will work on us, we don't need to pile in, just offer support and help. That is hospitality to me.
Right, better get choosing something else to sing!

3 comments:

Lynda said...

Lovely cards and layour Lythan and your handwritten sentiments are fab - you should get a font made from it!!!

Love Lynda xxx

Rika said...

Great set of cards!

Kathy said...

Oh my! Lythan is back and crafting like there's no tomorrow (nearly said like a demon but not sure if that would go down well with the bishop....)
Wonderful wonderful cards and that LO is a masterpiece.

Happy Birthday to H - and good luck for Uni.

My nephew is 18 next weekend and I cannot believe that the little baby I rushed out of school to go and see a couple of hours after he was born is THAT old!