Thursday, February 17, 2011

Not such a good idea

Yes, I had fun on Monday crafting without a cause but - now I am wondering if I will make my deadlines this week. Ah well such is life! I am running (along with my colleague) (which is what I now get to call Phil as we are in a team) Eldership Training on Saturday. I do enjoy running such courses but it does squeeze time slightly! We are just hoping that the acorns arrive in time... Taken along with a rather meeting heavy week - some of which have needed an emergency (small) sherry afterwards - I am rather pooped.

Anyhoo, here is my Salt layout for this time around. The lovely Ruth asked us to think about truth. Which turned out to be quite hard to do, forsooth. (!) I spent some time mulling it all over and there were a few Biblical phrases that stuck in my mind. One was "What is truth?" which is what Pilate askes Jesus at his trial. Pilate is trying to work out who Jesus is and asks “You are a king, then!” Jesus answered, “You say that I am a king. In fact, the reason I was born and came into the world is to testify to the truth. Everyone on the side of truth listens to me.” "What is truth?" (John 18:36-38)

Because knowing the truth is hard. I'm reading a lot more about politics at the moment and what is truth is a question that I keep asking. In the end, being a bear of little brain, I looked to see what else Jesus said to help me make sense of truth and I found this phrase from earlier in John's gospel "“If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.” (John 8:31;32). Which freed me to say - follow Jesus teachings and that is where truth lies.

Of course it is not always that simple. the current Sunday readings are the Sermon on the Mount which is really tough teaching by Jesus. Following Jesus teaching is demanding. Maybe that is what is true. Being a Christian is hard. Sigh. As I have noticed this week...
Anyway all that reflection is in this layout which again doesn't spell it out but hopefully will still have meaning for me when I look at it again in 20 years time...

the papers are My Mind's Eye Fine and Dandy collection. I thought the numbers would remind me that I have to be true to my calling 24/7. I printed a huge chunk of the Sermon on the mount using Times and Times Again font.
The pic is one I took when trying to do a self portrait with the Nikon D60 which doesn't let me see what is in the lens but I kind of like the way I am looming at you demanding what is truth? (Thanks to my colleague for cleaning it up. And I suppose it was true to leave all the wrinkles on it)

Details: Cardstock: Bazzill; Papers: MME; Letters: Doodlebug; little gems from Imagine That; Ribbon: Seam Binding from the Ribbon Girl; Tools: Black Soot Distress Ink; Sharpie and Wilkinsons thin black pens

5 comments:

Hazel said...

Once again, Lythan, a fab LO - love the way you printed S on the M scripture - and love the looming photo! I had to smile at your comment on my LO - a bit like a mirror image sketch x

Ruth said...

A very thought-provoking layout - thanks!
I'm finding the sermon on the mount quite tough, though very truth-ful, too - but I'm hanging on for the last part "do not worry about anything". Even 'laughter lines'.
x

Kim said...

Oh, this is pure genius Lythan! I love the printing on the paper, what a great idea! As always, a stunning layout!

And may I suggest an excellent book on the Sermon on the Mount, which we're also studying in Sunday School! :-) The book is titled "Studies in the Sermon on the Mount" by D. Martyle Lloyd-Jones. I haven't started reading it yet but it comes with high recommendations!!

Kathy said...

Great LO Lythan. Have you had your hair cut, then?

levelbest said...

Thank you for your honest response Lythan, love the hair cut!