Friday, September 30, 2011

Au revoir, auf wiedersehen

Well I started to write this blog post an hour ago but our dog (not so) Lucky hurt her paw somehow while she was out for a walk with Phil. He had to dash home to take his bike for an MOT and attend a coffee morning so I was left with an unhappy dog who didn't want anyone to look at her paw. It turned out that she cried a lot less if she could be sprawled on our half landing with me sitting on a step next to her stroking her while trying to do some work. Phil is back, we can't see any lasting damage and she is now putting weight on that leg. I am as stiff as anything!

This week it was my turn to choose a Daring Cardmaker challenge. I looked up what significance Sept 30th has and it turns out it is World Language Day. I thought that was a great excuse to revisit one of the very first dares that DCM put up almost 5 years ago now. Here are my cards from October 2006


and here is this weeks - has my style changed a lot?
Well I am not sure this is really my style anyway but I do like it. I guess the big change has been the use of distress inks or some form of outlining on a card and I am more likely to use stamped words.

Details: Cardstock: Craft Creations; Papers: Pink Paisless and MME; Flower: Wild Orchid Crafts; Lace: Ribbon Girl; Chipboard: Pink Paislee; Stamps and pearls: Imagine That; Stormy Sky and Aged paper Distress inks; needle and thread. Butterfly cut from a template (another paper with butterlfies on it)

And here is another card made with the leftovers and a new set of sentiment stamps by Paula Pascual available from Imagine That  - where this weekend is discount weekend (1-2 October) so head on down and grab some bargains
 
This is also a good time to say au revoir. I'm not stepping down totally from Daring Cardmakers but I do have to step back for a while. Work life is getting increasingly complicated and home life may do to in the next few months so I will only be an occassional contributor until I can see the wood for the trees. Sob.

I have managed to start my holiday album for this year with the title page
It was based on Shimelle's starting point for this week but now looks rather different. I had decided to use Distress Stain and a Mask but didn't like how it turned out. Last night I spent ages moving things around and adding them to cover most of it (can you see it just peeking out). This morning in the shower I suddenly thought - why didn't I just turn the Bazzill Kraft paper over? Numpty.

Details: Papers and Stickers: Simple Stories; Spellbinder Die; Vintage Paper distress ink; Brown pen

Its a harvest festival double bill on Sunday. Still not quite sure what new and interesting way we can celebrate it this year. I know we will talk about Bangladesh and give our gifts to the local Women's Refuge but the rest is still rather a blank page at the moment. Here's hoping God will sow the seeds...

4 comments:

Natty said...

Fantastic dare Lythan, just love that Parisian card with its ephemeral collagey elements. :)
Hope life slows down a pace and you can still find time to keep up with some crafting to chill out. xx

Sarah said...

Just popped over from Shimelle's as you were one of her fave layouts from this weeks Starting point! Great page and lol at not realising you could turn the kraft over ... kind of thing i do!! x

Unknown said...

love your Shimelle page. very inspiring xxx

Sharon (glitterangel) said...

Gorgeous card Lythan, and a great challenge - it's so interesting to look back and see how much our styles have changed. I don't think most of our styles have changed that much, I think it's more that we've all learnt new things as new products have come out. Hope you still manage to get a bit of crafting done inbetween all the other things you manage to juggle - we shall certainly miss you when you're not around xxx