Friday, August 17, 2012

one down, one to go

exam results days that is.
Yesterday was A levels. Emrys and Phil left the house by 6am to return to Palmers College in Grays, Essex because you either had to pick up the results in person or have them posted to you (!). They arrived in good time and Emrys achieved AAAB. Because two of his A levels were double IT which is mostly course work based, his lovely parents suggested that he carried on with both Phsyics and Maths to A2 standard, which he did. We are so proud of him! So he is now off to join Hywel in Middlesbrough next month. Although it is a LONG way from here, there is something special about them keeping a connection to the area in which they were born (and it is very cheap to live there!). We get to do it all over again for the GSCE's next week. Fun,fun, fun.

I was glad to have the Daring Cardmakers challenge this week to keep my thoughts occupied. Jo set the most wonderful Dare
Film Quotes
I'd like you to use a line/quotation from the Big Screen as your inspiration and see where that leads your cardmaking.

I decided to do two as I might not be able to participate at all next week!
This one is actually a sung line from Pinocchio. Maybe Jiminy Cricket says it as well - its a while since we have watched it...
The card is a Craft Creations sqyare blank which I printed the greeting onto and then decided how I would fill the space. I wanted a cloud and a star so used a Nestablilities Label 6 die cut in half and a QK Primitive Star. All the papers are from a recent 6x6 Heidi Swapp pad. I also used a border punch, a Cuttlebug embossing folder, black sharpie pen and lots of stick on yellow gems. The star was covered in Rock Candy Distress Stickles as well.

This uses some of my hoarded Scenic Route Surprise papers and a die cut arrow. I printed out the words on spare kraft cardstock using the Times and Times Again font and layered the papers with some Bazzill cardstock, embossing the red layer with a Happy Birthday folder. The words were added with a Tiny Attacher. It may have said "blow and" at one point, hence the sapre holes in "and" now!

It took longer to chose the quotes than to make the cards to be honest.

I've got my first Babbacombe baptism on Sunday and I am going off lectionary (the set Bible readings for every week) because I can't do the bread of life anymore. I love talking about Jesus as the Bread of Life. But not for 5 weeks in a row as the Lectionary suggests. So we'll be thinking about what baptism is - an outward sign of God's love for us, how we need to share that love with the baby being baptised and what the baby can teach us about God. Hope it all comes together and the baby doesn't cry! (you just never know....)

5 comments:

SueH said...

Oh, well done Emrys, what fab results!
You must be so proud of him Lythan and I’m sure that Carys’s results will be just as impressive.

Love the way your cards are so simple yet so effective.

Happy Crafting!
Sue
x

Sharon (glitterangel) said...

Fantastic cards Lythan - both very clever ideas for the dare, and well done to Emrys for such amazing results!

Kathy said...

Both of these are wonderful - I love your strong graphic style and wish I could do it!

Kathy said...

oooh and congrats to Emrys for doing so well - and good luck to him for Uni

Jo said...

Fantastic results - I hope today's went well to :)

Both brilliant cards - I love the primary colours of the second and the blue and yellow with the animal print is yummy

jo x